Ireland’s waters are clean, healthy and life enhancing, supporting biodiversity and providing a basis for community wellbeing and economic sustainability.
An Fóram Uisce – the Water Forum is a statutory body, established in June 2018, to provide a platform for public engagement on all matters relating to water as an environmental, social and economic resource. The Water Forum provides an opportunity for stakeholders to debate and analyse a range of issues with regard to water quality, rural water concerns, issues affecting customers of Irish Water and the implementation of the Water Framework Directive and the River Basin Management Plan for Ireland.
The Water Forum provides a platform for the stakeholders of water quality, where the members draw on their various perspectives and expertise to address the challenges and agree governance, societal and technical policies and solutions to achieve clean and healthy waters.
Strategic Plan 2022-2027
The Water Forum has agreed its Strategic Plan for 2022-2027
We aim to build on the work of our first strategic plan and continue to strengthen stakeholder input into decision making regarding water as a fundamental national asset.
We do this by providing a platform for stakeholder engagement and dialogue on all matters relating to water as an environmental, economic and social asset, thereby:
- We provide a strong, independent voice on water quality, conservation and future proofing
- We act as a governance component in the management of Ireland’s water resources
- We advocate for innovative engagement between policy makers, stakeholders and the public
- We review, reflect and comment on the development of national policy and the effectiveness of and the impediments to the implementation of policy.
Provide a unique and robust platform for stakeholder engagement and agreement on key issues concerning Ireland's waters
Be a proactive and authoritative national statutory body, leading on water policy, management and governance
Bring scientific recommendations to policy through analysis, dialogue and sense making
Lead on innovation in experimental governance through futures thinking
Advocate for the need for and benefits of meaningful public engagement and education in water resource management
- We provide a platform for stakeholder engagement and dialogue on all matters relating to water and an environmental, economic and social asset
- We provide a strong and independent voice on water quality, conservation and future proofing
- We act as an integral governance component in the management of Ireland’s water resources
- We develop strategic responses to water policy issues